Saturday, March 1, 2008

Spring is almost here


Furby our cat kept falling off the rail everynight with a thud so I bought her this container and my dad nailed it down. She loves it!

Quote for the day: My theory on housework is, if the item doesn't multiply, smell, catch on fire or block the refrigerator door, let it be. No one cares. Why should you? -Erma Bombeck

I have been thinking about a garden lately I know people in the colder states/countries are not even thinking about a garden right now. As you can see by my cat above she is warming her self in our warm sun we are having here in South Texas. I have had to fix my air conditioning in my car because it went out. Tonight we tried to go to the Planetarium and the air conditioning was out and the temp was about 90' in there so they canceled for the night, So this tells you how hot its been.

Before you say, Frugalmom I really dont want to hear it, let me tell you the down side of all this is we havent had any real rain in ages and we keep having fires everywhere. Just last night on the news they had three huge fires in our area near San Antonio. One of them they had to evacuate a elementary school because the fire was too close.

Most of it is caused by smokers. Cigs being tossed out to the grass. Idiots. The volunteer fire department are recruiting young boys, desperate for volunteers. I saw them today out on the streets barily 18yrs they were collecting money for the fire department holding out a fire boot.
I gave most everyone I saw were rolling down their windows to donate.

Tonight Hubby was filling me today about world problems and the American Dollar going so low. I have been so busy with farm, homeschooling and car problems I havent been able to listen to the news. I need a good news feed my Yahoo only gives me silly stuff. Maybe I need to resubscribe, but then again its depressing and will make me worry. I am a natural worrier.

Anyways it got us talking about our garden to start preparing just in case. Each year we try to do a garden but I think we are trying too big we need to start small. He was talking about enclosing our porch for more kitchen space for pantry items we need to start stocking up again.I need to start buying in bulk again. I got really excited because I have been wanting to do this forever but I cant make a move in the garden without more help from him on what he wants.

Slowly I have been helping my dad with his. I bought 3 tomotoe plants and some onions for his garden. Tommy will be planting watermellon with his papa this next month. I have been keeping an eye out for the strawberrys not sure when they come out here.

There is sooooo much more I want to plant. I hope to go flea marketing tomorrow to see what starter plants they have right now. I dont think we are going to have any more freezes. My pecan trees have hard buds on them right now which means spring is coming soon. Its Cheaper to do seeds rather then starter plants, I need to go get some dirt and start to plant seeds to see if any take, they are old seeds so you never know but its good to try.

Not much more happening, my chickens are laying really good. My neighbors dogs are driving me nuts everynight I dont think they give them water so they travel up the canal every night to get some water which drives my dogs and my other dogs mad with barking. Bees have been out and about I told hubby he needs to put some sugar water out for them since there is hardly any food near right now.

Thats about it for tonight

Sam








No comments: